Fw: [CQ-Contest] Need Hardline Connectors

Subject: Fw: [CQ-Contest] Need Hardline Connectors
From: k7qq@netzero.net (Rex Maner)
Date: Thu Aug 29 07:21:33 2002
----- Original Message -----
From: "K4SB" <hamcat@directvinternet.com>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 17:20
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need Hardline Connectors

> Bill wrote:
> > Hi Contesters,
> > Can you help me find a source of connectors for surplus
> > hardline? Today's problem is with aluminum, approx 1/2"
> > hardline with a solid conductor. Exact dimensions on
> > request.
> Bill K6KM

See Quack comment below the next post Bottom of Page

> Well, the cheapest and most effective method I've ever found is to
> make them yourself.
>
> Cut about a 6" length of the 1/2" hard line, and visit your local
> hardware store. Also,
> take along a barrel connector.
>
> You will find they have brass compression fittings which will allow
> the fitting to be
> securely mounted to the hard line, along with a "step up" on the other
> end which is almost a perfect match for the barrel.
>
> Just place the compression ring on the hard line, ( be sure you put
> the compressor fitting on first ), then bare the center wire so it
> will be about .75" into the brass fitting. You can now either file off
> the threads on the barrel connector, (or drill out the brass fitting
> with a 1/2" drill down to the point where the inner housing begins to
> expand ) and you will find  perfect fit. A little no-alox on the
> center wire, and fit the barrel down into the unit. You can now make a
> very neat solder around the barrel fitting. A little more no-alox on
> the aluminum shield, especially under the position where the
> compression ring will come to rest, and tighten it down.
>
> Helps if you have a dremal tool with a circular carbide blade to cut
> through the aluminum to expose the center conductor, then slit the
> aluminum from the cut to the coax end. Remove the outer shield and
> then slice away the insulation back about .75" from the end. Gasoline
> works great on a rag to remove that sticky stuff.
>
> It has literally taken longer to write this than to make the actual
> fitting.
>
> As to performance, I tested several connectors up to about 200 mHz for
> loss and found it was practically non existent. When I first started
> using this method, I made up 2 short connects, put coax seal and tape
> on one, and hung them with the coax end up on a fence for a little
> more than a year. Then, took them apart, and honestly could not find
> any difference in the appearance of the 2.
>
> Short and sweet, Ace is the place for the ....
>
> 73
> Ed

Quack approach
Very similar to above,  I take the piece of 1/2 hard line to the same
hardware and buy  a nipple that fits over the 1/2 line on one end and fits
the base of a SO239 on the other end.
Slot the end of the nipple that will go over the 1/2 in line and move it
back about 2 inches.  Expose about 1/8" of the center conductor of the
hdline.   Solder it to the center of the SO 239. To make the connector look
a bit better I have ground down the portion of the SO 239 that has the
mounting holes. Put some no-lox on the
aluminum and  Slide the Nipple fwd to contact the base of the SO 239 and
solder at the sholder on the connector then put a worm clamp around at the
Slit that was cut in the nipple.
I have covered the whole thing with  RTV and applied tape while the RTV is
still stickey.  I use this connector on almost all of my antenna's and SO
FAR  No problem.
Rex