[CQ-Contest] Traveling with a HF Rig

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Traveling with a HF Rig
From: sm0jhf@chello.se (SM0JHF)
Date: Sat Sep 21 19:41:44 2002
I recall my friend, who spent a few years in the Philipines (DU7CC), mentioning
that clearing the radio equipment legally through the customs was a nightmare.
His rig was bigger that the TS50 mentioned in previous message.
I have flown many times with radio gear since last September. Unfortunately
once a switched power supply and an automatic antenna tuner with cables
disappeared from my checked-in suitcase somewhere between Stockholm and Africa.
No notification from any security authority, no compensation from the airline
(except of a new suitcase). Since then I carry all my radios and tuners in hand
luggage. No problems in Europe except of repeated X-ray scans. In some places,
outside of Europe, they don't even have operational X-ray machines. I think
that the security checks in Asia and Africa are different for different
airlines.
Bringing a small radio into a country is one problem. Getting it out of the
country through airport security checks is another. Bringing radios into the
Philipines can be illegal but taking them out of the country is probably 100%
legal. In Hong Kong - I don't think they care for radios. I would recommend
taking the radio with you. Large airports have equipment for scanning for
explosives and this is what they look for.
BTW, more than 10 years ago, Japanese security guards took my Swiss army knife
in Tokyo. They said it was a potential weapon.

Henryk SM0JHF