[CQ-Contest] New Sections????

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Sections????
From: wb0wao@hotmail.com (Dennis Ponsness)
Date: Sun Nov 3 08:40:26 2002
I was curious as to what the numbers were, so I went to QRZ.com and looked
at the ham population by state.  These were the numbers I got supposedly
accurate up to 02 Nov for the top ten states:

1  CA  93853
2  TX  39385
3  FL  37162
4  NY  29862
5  OH  28179
6  PA  22845
7  WA  22779
8  IL  21344
9  MI  19916
10 NC  17409

And this is a list of the number of sections in each state:

1  CA  9
2  TX  3
3  FL  3
4  NY  4
5  OH  1
6  PA  2
7  WA  2
8  IL  1
9  MI  1
10 NC  1

Why does MA have 2 sections when it has a total of 13516 hams there?  Ohio
has over twice the number of hams, but only has one section?  I am quite
confused here.  Am I wrong in thinking that a section is based on the number
of hams in it?  Or is it by the number of ARRL members in the state?  Seems
to me that OH, IL, and MI should be broken down into 2 sections each - the
number of hams are there to justify it.

Which leads me to the following question... How does one go about getting
the ARRL to create new sections?  What is the proceedure that you have to go
thru to get the ball rolling?  Or would it be a waste of time and energy?

73

Dennis - WB0WAO
(Bummed 'cause I have to work this weekend)
MI Section - "Up North"

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.? Try MSN!