[CQ-Contest] KL7Y

Subject: [CQ-Contest] KL7Y
From: c_hurlbut@adelphia.net (Chris Hurlbut)
Date: Sun Nov 3 21:03:54 2002
I will always remember Halloween 2002.

My father, KL7FH, called me on the phone and told me the bad news.  At first
I was in shock, and then I was in denial.  After that, I was extremely
sad... and then denial kicked in again.

KL7Y was my contesting Elmer.  I don't think I would have gotten into
contesting so much if it wasn't for him.  He invited me up to his fantastic
station for a CQWW CW M/M when I was 13.  I didn't really know what to
expect, but I had fun, and I was hooked.  I was there for almost every
multi-op afterwards, and even a single op or two.  I can remember sitting up
in the middle of the night with Dan milking 20 meters and the low bands, and
waiting for 10 to open up over the pole.  Now that I think back... those
were "the good old days."  I didn't know Dan as long as some of the other
regulars like WL7E, or KL2A (ex NL7GP), but it feels like I knew him longer
than 7 or 8 years.

Dan was absolutely one of the nicest people on the planet.  He was extremely
generous with his station, and with his expertise.  A contest at KL7Y was
never bad, no matter how bad the conditions were.  It was great to sit down
and pick his brain about things.  "Where do I point the antenna now?"  "Is
it better to concentrate on DX now, or should I run states?"  It may not
seem like much, but it meant a lot to a youngster full of enthusiasm.  Dan
was always right there, showing me what to do, and giving me tips on how to
do better.  I feel like I was always asking him questions, and asking his
opinion.  When we weren't operating, I was listening to his great stories of
contests past.  Anyone who has met Dan knows what I am talking about.

He was a joy to operate with, and a great person to just hang out with.  A
great leader at the Multi-ops, who welcomed everyone.  I really can't put
words to how much we all miss Dan already.  He loved contesting, and his
enthusiasm rubbed off on everyone who was around him.  Not hearing the KL7Y
station on for SS this weekend was very sad.  Hopefully I can muster up the
motivation to do CQWW CW.... things will just never be the same.

I will always remember Dan and the great times I had with him.
Halloween 2002 was the end of an era.

73,
Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a   Click on Contest Pictures to see pics from the