[CQ-Contest] W2SR 1378 B W4PA 82 TN

Subject: [CQ-Contest] W2SR 1378 B W4PA 82 TN
From: w4pa@yahoo.com (Scott W4PA)
Date: Wed Nov 6 06:24:50 2002
W2SR wrote:

>I'm a CW newbie who can do casual QSO's at 15 WPM or so

>After you've worked all the other competitors, there are still lots of
>potential Q's out there, and they all count in the log.  So why not
>cnsider a deliberate switch to QRS when the action slows down?  If the
>run is hot, keep at it, but at the end of the contest when every CQ
>comes up empty and everyone else's CQ is a dup, slow down and
>see what happens.

>After all, every 'Q' in the log counts.

Sounds like you're off to a pretty good understanding of how SS CW
works.  It strikes me as incredible that any serious SS CW competitor
wouldn't do anything possible (within the rules) to squeeze out
every makeable contact - and slowing the code speed down is the
easiest and most obvious one out there.   Look at the logjam at
the top 20 HP claimed scores this weekend.  A small number of
contacts really made a difference this time - and does many times
in SS CW.

After the first 6 hours of SS, I didn't call CQ once above 30 WPM.
I made many, many CQ calls at 22 to 24 WPM.  I made a number of
contacts
in the 13 to 17 WPM range either answering their CQ sent at that speed
or in response to a 'slow-coder' calling me.  I often dialed the
code speed down to below the speed I was called at to make sure the
other guy got it right the first time.  After all, getting it once
at 17 WPM is the same as me sending it twice at 34!

W2SR, get on and call CQ at 15 WPM at 21.097 or wherever.  I'll be
HAPPY to QSO you at that speed in SS and will stick with it until
you get my exchange.  Vice versa, if you can figure out my callsign
from a higher speed CQ and dump your call over to me at 15 WPM I'll
dial it down fast to make sure I work you.  Even if it's near the
start of the contest.

Scott W4PA