[CQ-Contest] Not quite that pure

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Not quite that pure
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Sun Nov 10 20:15:05 2002
N7DF writes:

> I sometimes get on and just work one or two of my friends in a contest =
> but don't bother sending in a log.  If N7DM, for example, is on in that =
> contest and works three or four people but doesn't send in his log =
> either, then it's very likely the QSOs I made will be shown as busted =
> calls rather than uniques.  To prevent this I usually try to work at =
> least three other stations in other categories that I am sure will send =
> in their logs.

Can you be more specific about which contest?  The situation you describe
wouldn't result in QSOs being removed in most of the contests I know about.

> As a check in a recent major contest where I made well over 1500 QSOs I =
> recorded the entire contest on LP video tapes with a digital clock in =
> the video, my audio on one track and the received audio on the other =
> track.  I played back the entire contest and verified 100% of my =
> contacts deleting all log entries where there was any doubt of the two =
> way QSO.  When I checked  the log analysis results I still had nearly 2% =
> of my contacts disallowed as busted calls and only 11 unique calls =
> listed.  I went back and reconfirmed the contacts where the QSOs were =
> shown as busted and every contact was clearly identified as the station =
> I had in the log.

Well, I hope this wasn't a competitive log as most people feel that listening
to a tape and checking the information after the contest is not in the
spirit of the contest.

Again, I would like to know specifics.  What contest?  What were the
callsigns?  I will do what I can to understand what the story is and
report back.

> I don't think any system will be 100% accurate but I think there are =
> still too many chances for losing legitimate QSOs.  I wonder if =
> something like the Super-Check-Partial could look at past contest =
> activity and prevent calls being shown as busted if they showed up in =
> past contests.

Again - what contest?  What are the specifics of what you found on tape?

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net