[CQ-Contest] Pirates, ghosts and things that go bump in the QRM

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Pirates, ghosts and things that go bump in the QRM
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed Nov 13 18:25:42 2002
> > 1.  The other guy may have sent his call wrong.
>
> Then the QSO should not be removed from my log.

How do you propose the log checking computers detect this?

> > 2. There may be a pirate using someone else's call or a fictional
> > call.
>
> Since the pirate is probably not going to send in a log, it most
> likely wouldn't result in a ding.

If the bootlegger were using the call of a station who was in the
contest and who sent in a log, you'd get dinged.  Again, how would the
log checkers ever detect what happened?

> > 3.  Someone may accidentally send someone else's call instead of
> > his.  This is possible in some logging programs. (i.e. in CT hit F5
> > instead of F4)
>
> Then the QSO should not be removed from my log.  It is an error of
> the sending station...but similar to #2 in that there probably won't
> be a ding due to no log sent in under the wrong call.

Like #1 and #2, the log checkers have no way to know this.

> > 7. The other guy may have accidentally erased your call from his log.
>
> Then *he* should be penalized, not me.

Do I need to say it again?  ;-) The log checking computer has no way to
know this!  And, as with #1, #2, and #3,  without a tape recording, no
one would.

> So there are lots of situations where it's not so cut-and-dried.
> Yet, with a "rule" that says if you're NOL you're automatically SOL,
> in some cases the offending station is not penalized, and the
> innocent party is.
>
> That's why I don't like it.  Plus, it happened to me.

This happens to EVERYONE.  That's sort of the point - blindly equal treatment
of all.

Mike N2MG