[CQ-Contest] Stirring the pot

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Stirring the pot
From: n7df@zianet.com (Larry N7DF)
Date: Fri Nov 15 07:58:15 2002
Probably one of the reasons people are so "het up" over the issue of =
UBN's is the penalties assessed.
If the fault in creating a busted call in your log is the other guy's, =
why should you be penalized 3 QSOs?
Wouldn't it be fairer in the case of busted calls to simply delete the =
credit for the busted from your log?

Also, since the QSO was NOT a two way exchange, shouldn't it be deleted =
from the other station's log, too?

In the case of a "not in log" situation, however, the penalty should =
stay at three QSO's removed since this=20
could conceivably be a case of claiming the QSO in hopes that the other =
station doesn't send in his log and
it will not be counted against the station claiming the QSO?=20

If you really wanted to get nasty, if the claimed NIL QSO was a =
multiplier, penalized the offense by removing three multipliers!

I strongly agree with the people who have said that contesting is about =
making valid two way QSOs.=20
If it is not two way it is not a QSO on the part of either station.=20
The most important part of the exchange is the callsigns of both the =
stations.

In SS the exchange is equally important.  How about the ultimate in =
nastiness and assessing a penalty for each miscopied element of the =
exchange:=20
3 QSOs for the callsign wrong and 1 QSO for each error in number, =
precedence, check or section?

BTW since I am in zone 4 but CT always shows me as being in zone 3 =
should I be penalized each time the other station has me as zone 3 in =
his log?
He should be, since I always send the 04 and if he doesn't catch it that =
is his fault.

I wonder if our esteemed log checkers could see how many times the wrong =
zone is shown in DX logs for some recent contests.

73
Larry
Number seven Desert Fox

multipart/alternative