[CQ-Contest] Attracting Contesters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Attracting Contesters
From: hwardsil@centurytel.net (Ward Silver)
Date: Sat Nov 16 18:13:19 2002
from Kelly, VE4XT

> Has QST dumbed down? I'd hardly consider a treatise on PIC programming
> "dumbing down." Is QST attempting to bring new contesters into SS, DX, etc?
> I sure as hell hope so.
>
> Will the status quo of running just the rules do that? Not in a million
> sunspot cycles. WE get the information we need from the running of rules,
> but potential newbies skip right past. I think things like "Why you should
> operate this contest?" are great. Bravo.
>
> It's the same with the post-contest writeups. Page after page of grey will
> not help sell contesting. Well-written contest reports with humour and
> anecdotes play much better into the hands of people who could take or leave
> contest reports. Those are the people QST needs to reach.

Thank you, Kelly.  Guys and gals...please consider which is more likely to
cause a casual or non-contester to get on and operate...

This year - "Special Interest: Operators will travel to many interesting DX
locations..."

or

Last year's - "6.6.4. DXpedition scores may be included in the Medium and
Unlimited club totals only."

We need to stop breathing our own exhaust and start selling others on what a
whale of a lot of fun they can be having doing some contesting.  As I posted
last week - the biggest challenge we have is reaching out to other hams.  This
is one example of how to do it - by removing dry rules-and-regulations and
replacing it with a little sizzle.  If you have better ideas for the sizzle,
then by all means, let's have 'em!!

73, Ward N0AX

multipart/alternative
  text/html