[CQ-Contest] Harrassment & Favorite Beverage de VY1JA

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Harrassment & Favorite Beverage de VY1JA
From: jallen@internorth.com (J. Allen)
Date: Tue Nov 19 15:52:49 2002
Perhaps two threads join on this matter.

First, I think that Ken, K6LA stumbled into the same pit that I had.

In one of my very early years of SS contesting, I started early on 28.325
and was QRMed by a GROUP of guys claiming that 28.325 was their frequency,
and that no contest was going to stop them from using it, so I would have to
QSY so that they could start up.  I am  usually fast to move on in cases
where people ask in a civilized manner, but their first attempt at asking
was with a club.

I told them that I had been on the frequency for several hours and that they
should by rights move a little up or down from there and find a clear
frequency if they could.  I discussed it with them for several minutes, and
decided not to fight the increasing rudeness which followed, as logic and
adherence to the FCC rules did not seem to apply to them.

After they forced "their frequency" from me, I listened see if they could
establish a chat group there.  It was a very interesting to listen to.

The group has within it several people that were acting as passband police.
As they attempted to establish themselves in the middle of SS, the "cops"
continued by harassing others in the area with cat calls, with carriers, and
obscene language, which makes me think that perhaps they had tried a little
too much of their "favorite beverage" from another current CQ-Contest
thread.

Since that time, I have heard them or others like them, even though I
started up a little higher, on 28.337.  They have never used their calls nor
started by asking politely.  If I notice QRM below me, I will ask the
persons generating it to give me a little more room, using my call, and if
it does not work, I slide up.  This year, if I can assume that it was part
of the same group, I was QRMed deliberately with every tool imaginable for
about two straight hours, and moving up or down in the high level of
activity on 10 was not an option.

Thanks to the many fine operators that endured the interference, totally
ignoring the nuisances as we worked together to get the QSOs through, it was
a record year for me.  This was largely due to QRM busting skills of those
that worked me in that spot 12 above "their frequency".

J.
VY1JA