[CQ-Contest] Misleading Calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Misleading Calls
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Fri Dec 6 23:20:52 2002
We have encountered this same situation with KH6DX in checking the ARRL
160M and 10M logs.  To the best of my knowledge, we've never dinged anyone
for this.

To be honest, I was not aware of the ARRL contest rule (which someone
quoted here) stating that your callsign must accurately indicate your DXCC
country.  We have never enforced this in checking ARRL 160M and 10M.

In both ARRL 160M and 10M we have the section field to let us determine
where KH6DX/M is located.  This is all that really matters in these
contests, not whether he's signing /W6, /M, or whatever.  Also, if KH6DX
submits a log, then the logcheckers truly know where he is.  I would hope
that QSOs don't get thrown out under those conditions.

N2MG's comment that logcheckers should know where people are simply is not
practical.  While we can read the DX bulletins and be aware of the big
expeditions, there are always unannounced operations, or operations by
people that aren't advertised.  The purpose of computerized logchecking is
to treat everything equally, and specialized manual handling negates this.

Until you get involved with logchecking, a lot of the situations you'll run
into simply don't occur to you.  We're trying to apply an exact process
(checking QSOs) to what, in many cases, is incomplete or erroneous sets of
data.  Liberal doses of judgement is required, but unless there is clear
data to the contrary, the entrant must be given the benefit of the doubt.

Dave/K8CC