[CQ-Contest] But I didn't inhale!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] But I didn't inhale!
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Tue Dec 10 10:36:16 2002
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Larry N7DF wrote:

> When I turned on the radio Sunday morning in the ARRL 160 contest it
> happened to be set on 1831.3. Much to my surprise I heard NL7Z calling
> CQ on frequency with no answers. I called him, barefoot, and worked him
> right away. As the linear warmed up and I tuned the band for new
> stations I continued listening to him on the second receiver but he
> wasn?t getting any calls.
>
> Since the internet computer was warmed up and already logged in to the
> internet downloading my e-mail, I decided to post him to the DX Summit
> packet cluster. Within seconds he had a pileup. But, several of the
> stations that called him in the next two minutes or so were stations
> that always report their logs as unassisted.
>
> Now; I always operate unassisted and do not activate the packet cluster
> during contests. This is the first time I have ever brought it up while
> I was still in a contest. I guess though, that under the rules, I will
> have to report my entry as assisted even though I "didn?t inhale".

It could be that they tuned by and, hearing a pileup in progress, decided
to see what all the hubbub was about.  I've done this myself.  Some people
have spectrum analyzers on their radios that show up the pileups
distinctly.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.  If they are reporting unassisted
and use packet, it's their own consciences they have to live with.

73, Zack W9SZ