[CQ-Contest] publcizing reports of 'assumed, suspected' statiions with b

Subject: [CQ-Contest] publcizing reports of 'assumed, suspected' statiions with bad sigs..
From: k3ft@erols.com (k3ft@erols.com)
Date: Thu Dec 12 07:03:56 2002
Ken Claerbout wrote:

> >I'll make it so your post can be anonymous or not with >date, time, band,
> and comments fields.  The most >complained about stations (top-10 USA and
> top-10 >Europe) can be featured on CQ-Contest once per >month for their
> efforts.  :)
>
> >Sounds like a plan!  We can start with the 10 Meter >Contest this weekend!
>
> Right - and we have all seen the valuable input from some of the anonymous
> postings on reflectors.  Something like this is ripe with potential for
> abuse.  What's to say the person making the report doesn't have their noise
> blanker cranked up, is just suffering overload from a very strong signal, or
> has an ax to grind so they stuff the ballot box on someone?  I'm sure the
> anti-contesting community could have fun with this.  Some poor slob could
> wind up on Contesting.Com's 10 most wanted without proper cause.  I'm all
> for cleaning up the bands but this seems a little excessive.  If you think
> someone has a bad signal, just come out and tell them on the air or drop
> them an e-mail.
>
> 73
> Ken K4ZW

> Public posting without authenticated attribution of the originator?
Accuasations without substantiation? Public tarrings and featherings sans ANY
determination that the reporter wasn't in error?

Good grief! This can't be from supposedly enlightened people in  2002! This has
to be
from reports of people talking back, say, the late 1700's, or maybe 1939, 1941,
or maybe
the 1950's and 1960's?

Amazing how little things change!

K3FT

From: gussam@newcomm.net" <gussam@newcomm.net (Gus Samuelson)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Key clicks improved on the Mark-V FIELD?

As a new owner (yesterday) of the Mark V field and I am sure there
must be many others  any info relative to this  issue  posted here
would be welcomed. Likewise I will not have time to make any
alterations
before the 10 meter contest.

73 Gus VO1MP

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002 1:50 PM, Tim Totten, N4GN
[SMTP:n4gn@n4gn.com] wrote:
> I have a few questions, but first some background . . . I've
owned
> a Yaesu
> FT-1000MP Mark-V Field (has to be the longest name in ham radio)
> since
> May.  I'll admit that I've not made any key click mod to it (at
> least not
> yet), and I've also not done any extensive testing for key
clicks.

> Just looking at the scope captures in the ARRL product reviews,
> the
> original MP and the Mark-V look very similar, and I would expect
> clicks
> based only on that data.  But the scope captures on the Field
> look
> considerably better, especially on the first "dit".  Just
> comparing these
> three waveforms, I would expect the Field to be much improved
over
> both
> the original MP and the Mark-V.  In other words, it looks to me
> like Yaesu
> has tried to address this issue in the latest version, and the
> Field could
> be expected at least to have LESS of a key click problem than the
> two
> earlier versions.  Maybe they even SOLVED the key click problem
> with the
> Field.
>
> In the expanded product review for the Field, there are a couple
> of plots
> labeled "Keying Sidebands" that show the -30 dB points at around
> +/- 800
> Hz from the center freq.  There are no corresponding plots in the
> expanded
> reviews of the earlier products.
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> 1) Any comments on this?  Any "real life" data or comparisons?
>
> 2) IF the Field is indeed better than the original MP or the
Mark-