[CQ-Contest] Re: Clicks - last one I promise.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Clicks - last one I promise.
From: mark@concertart.com (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Thu Dec 19 11:38:38 2002
> You may have perfectly shaped amplitude shown on the scope and no cliks
BUT
> crappy signal suffering from RAC caused by PSU and frequency instability
> from VCO.

Thanks.  That's a different kind of crappy signal besides key clicks, but
you're right of course.  Others are also commenting that "just because it
looks good on the scope doesn't mean the signal is good."  Those comments
are talking about the value of a graph using frequency as the domain instead
of time.

Of course this is true.  Haven't seen any spectrum analyzers at the swap
meet for $50, however.

A swapmeet scope is perfectly capable of telling you if your keying waveform
has problems, i.e. if you have "overshoot" or "square wave" then of course
you can expect complaints, because your signal REALLY IS crappy.

I grew up on photos in the handbook showing what key clicks looked like on a
scope, so that's where I'm coming from.

Mark, N5OT