[CQ-Contest] Placement of One's CQ Frequency

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Placement of One's CQ Frequency
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Tue Jan 14 18:55:45 2003
Nat,

This is an interesting situation.  Off-hand, I'm not sure if it benefits
either KL station to be so close to each other.

Alaska is always a challenge (at least here on in the East) on 10 meters,
especially in the winter months; combination of distance and auroral
effects.  As a result, a KL station often has a pileup going.  Two KL's only
3 kc apart can mean that the pileups overlap -- resulting in confusion
(someone works "A" when he thinks he works "B", or doesn't realized that "A"
& "B" are both on, or gives up on both due to the mass confusion, etc.)

Be so as it may... I would not neccesarily agree that most S&P stations only
go "up" the band -- I often start at a midpoint, work my way down, then go
back to the midpoint & go up (may not work for everyone but it works for
me).  Nevertheless, I think that if both KL stations have pileups, and I
have broken through the pileup on the first station I worked (especially if
it's for a new mult), I probably won't bother for very long with the 2nd
one.  But there are a LOT of other mitigating factors involved, for example:
-- is it the 1st day or the 2nd?  If it's the first day (night) of the
'test, I may be more tempted to skip one or both pileups for now and wait 24
hours.  For example, I did this a few years ago in the CQ WPX with A61AJ;
skipped the huge pileups on Saturday, waited until Sunday when they were
begging for QSO's and snagged him on two bands within a few minutes.
-- do I need the mult?  And how eager am I to work a "backup?"  If I don't
need it, I may skip over BOTH stations.
-- how early in the opening?  If the band just opened to KL for me, again, I
can afford to wait a little bit till things calm down a little.
-- how good does the opening seem?  If the band seems wide open to KL (or
wherever), I may just continue to hunt for other stations.  For example,
when Pitcairn was celebrating it's 200th anniversary with the special VR200
calls, I heard a huge pileup on one YL on the lower part of 15 phone.  But
about 100 kHz away, there was another one calling CQ with few takers; got
her on one call!  [Obviously this was before Pitcairn's prefix got changed
to VP6, and this was many, many years before Packet & PacketCluster were
popular!]

I wouldn't worry too much about the "race for the bottom."  The one thing
I've noticed is that there are a lot of SSB DX stations in the contest who
seem to thrive well above 28.5, even 28.6 and higher (I worked stations as
high as 28.950 in the last one).  I suspect many of these are the "little
pistols" who don't want to get overwhelmed by the crowd, especially from the
28.3 - 28.5 segment that the US Novices & Tech+'s are limited to on phone.
And again, I suspect that if two rare/semi-rare stations from the same
"neighborhood" find that they are as close as 3 kc to each other, one or
both will be tempted to move (if they can take the time to find a spot) just
to lessen the cross-pileup interference and other problems.

But that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

Thanks for making me put the thinking cap on!

73, ron wn3vaw

"Doc?  You built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?"
"The way I look at it, if you're going to build a time machine out of a car,
you might as well do it with style!"
--  Marty McFly & Dr. Emmet Brown, "Back to the Future"