[CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP name handicap experiment

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: NAQP name handicap experiment
From: ve3iay@rac.ca (Richard Ferch)
Date: Sat Jan 18 01:05:01 2003
I really don't understand this fascination with using hard-to-copy names.
The idea in a contest is to complete as many QSOs as possible within the
allotted time, and the best way to do that is to make your exchange as easy
to copy as possible.

If you use an unusual name, let's say for the sake of argument that this
makes each QSO one second longer on average. Between some folks backspacing
over pre-filled names and some asking for repeats, that's probably a
significant underestimate. Over 10 hours in the NAQP, 1 lost second per QSO
would reduce a QSO total of 1200 to 1160, or a 600 QSO total to 580.
Meanwhile, you have cost your opposition an average of 1 second each (plus
the odd busted QSO here and there spread out over the entire field). Exactly
how is that to your benefit?

I have no objection to other people using unexpected names. I'll bet on my
ability to copy unexpected exchanges over a handicap like that any time. But
as for myself, I plan to continue using the same predictable boring name.
I've got no sense of humour, I guess...

73,
plain ol' Rich
VE3IAY