[CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40m Beams and Domestic Contests
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 19:20:05 2003
I have had a 40 meter beam since the seventies and felt like I wouldn't be
competitive without it. My 40M beam is broken (again) so I used my full-size
160M Delta Loop on 40 in both modes of NAQP. I was amazed how well it worked
and how many more folks I worked in the 6th and 7th districts (who would
normally be on the back and sides of the 3 el beam).

While not everyone has the real estate for a loop that big, adversity taught
me a lesson about what might be a killer domestic antenna for 40. For DX, it
is not nearly as effective as the 3el, so I will fix the beam in the spring,
do some comparison testing and report back to the group.

Tom, K5RC
aka W7TTT
Virginia City NV