[CQ-Contest] second radio on a band

Subject: [CQ-Contest] second radio on a band
From: kr1g@hotmail.com (ted demopoulos)
Date: Thu Jan 23 16:43:48 2003
I look forward to the responses!

I'm *far* from a big multi, but here's what I've done.

On 10/15/20 I have an R7 (a multiband vertical) about 700 feet behind (thats
away from Europe when you're in New England!) the stacks. With zero filters,
it is possible to have a second station on 10, 15 or 20 and use interlocks
or "hand signals" to work a few stations S&P while the main station on that
band is running. Of course the antenna leaves alot to be desired compared to
the stacks!

What DID NOT work was using this station to clean up the bandmap/packet
spots. Just too many needed mults were not audible on the R7 - and you don't
know if the spot is old/bad or you just can't hear the mult on the  R7).

Now you do get some phase noise and strange interference, but it works. In
fact in CQWW CW when NT1N was here, I found I could actually listen to his
TX freq and hear him run the pileup - didn't even need any attenuation. He
was about 59+10

On 40m, I haven't tried anything, but hope to stick a dedicated vertical
maybe 900 feet or so from the nearest yagi.

On 80m, my furtherest beverage is maybe 500 feet to the side of the 4 sq
(again, front means towards Eu from here). I can do some limited 2 radio
operation. In CQWW SSB, I did a SB 80m operation and it helped a lot, even
though the beverage points NE and I DID have quite a bit of interference.
But if I found a "new" pileup with the likes of XX, LPL, KI in it, I pretty
much KNEW it was a needed mult and would QSY the main raio/ant there. It
wasn't great as I really could only hear strong stations with the QRM from
my CQing, but it did add a few extra mults and Qs

On 160, I have no solution as of yet.

Note that the second radio used no bandpass filters or stubs or anything

73
Ted KT1V