[CQ-Contest] "assisted" operating.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] "assisted" operating.
From: ww3s@zoominternet.net (WW3S)
Date: Sun Jan 26 13:14:56 2003
A lot of "stuff" floating around about packet vs. no packet, one radio vs
two, etc. I operate in contest both as assisted ( using packet) and single
op ( no packet). For those that equate using packet as shooting fish in a
barrel it's not really that easy. Sometimes, for sure on Sunday afternoon,
most packet generated pileups are out of control. Even a easy mult generates
a huge pile; most semi-serious single op try to stay away from them. For
those that think it makes copying the cw callsign easier, nothing could be
further from the truth. Ask the 6Y guys how many times they've been spotted
as BY or W5ZR after he gets swamped by callers who thought he was WH7R. I
think some are just honest copying errors but I'm also beginning to believe
that some are intentionally spotted wrong. Also, with all the worldwide
nodes now the assisted guys now need a degree in computer science in order
to filter all the information they are provided with. If most of the
naysayers would try it, I think they would realize that the advantage is not
as great as first perceived; perhaps that why some call it single-op
distracted????

73 Jamie