[CQ-Contest] Advantages...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Advantages...
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Mon Jan 27 21:02:13 2003
I can see this.  I've got an idea that it would be fun to do Field
Day-style
contesting in the major contests, especially domestic contests.  Out
in
the Southwestern desert somewhere miles away from power lines and
neighbors and certainly with no chance of hooking into the internet or
any packet network at all, I'd try to do a contest with the minimum
antenna setup possible to do a creditable job.  Some day.

But I'd feel terribly disappointed if I were told by the rules makers
that
everyone either had to get packet or suffer the penalty of competing
at
a disadvantage.  People who go on DXpeditions to remote islands
for the DX tests shouldn't be told that they lost because the island
they
picked didn't have internet access or telephone.  In America it's
rare that you find people out of reach of telephone lines like Mark
here.  But with the way that the suburban developers have been
outlawing amateur radio in support of the profit motive for the last
40 years, I'd have to predict that more and more of our clan will
be forced to the boonies (either in America or outside of it) for
their
serious operating efforts.