[TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] coax cables

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "Lyndon Nerenberg" <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [CQ-Contest] coax cables
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:19:30 -0700
Hello folks,

IMHO, the BEST way to go these days is with the Cimp on "N" connectors.  I
use them extensively in everyday work up to an including 2.4 gHz.

Buy LMR-400 cable at about 60 cents per foot.  Low loss,  high level of
shielding, and little opportunity for water ingress.

The crimp on male "N" connectors cost about $7 and are a two piece device.
The center pin is captive, and therefore NO chance of misalignment.  The
cable is prepared (1 minute job) and inserted into the body of the
connector.  The ferrule then slips down over the bared portion of the braid,
and is clipped into place.  Excellent electrical and mechanical connection.
The connector kit also includes a piece of heat shrink tubing to seal the
cable/connector transition area.

The crimp on female "N" connector is about $4.50, and is a three piece
device.  Assembly is the same as the male with the exception that the female
center pin is crimped on the center conductor prior to inserting it into the
body of the connector and then crimping the ferrule.

The crimp tool costs about $80.00.  The same pricing, assembly, etc. is
available for "N" connectors fitting the LMR-240 cable which is ideal for
jumpers in the shack.  Other connectors are available (TNC, BNC, UHF, etc.)
if you have such requirements.
Larger cable (LMR-600, LMR-900) etc. is available at
http://www.davisrf.com/comm1/hardline.htm and also see
http://www.ntx-comm.com/lmr-4001.htm .

I personally purchase all of my cable and connecters including crimp tools
from Talley Electroncis.   If anyone wants the exact part numbers for the
"N" connectors, male and female, for both sizes of cable (.400 and .240),
and the crimp too and dies, please contact me directly.

Milt, N5IA