[CQ-Contest] Sunday Morning-1st Cup Musings...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sunday Morning-1st Cup Musings...
From: mwdink@eskimo.com (Michael Dinkelman)
Date: Sun Feb 23 20:38:08 2003
Good question Dale and one I've often pondered myself.

I find the amount of mail I get regarding these
"unofficial" and "for fun" summaries to be bewildering.
The are just "claimed scores" but many people take
them very seriously.

Of course, much of this could be because they are
immediately available - the closest thing contesting has
to a sports report of last nights game.  Others have
already broached the subject on how to improve on the
lag and I won't restart that debate. :>)

I don't have any answers myself but I have a couple ideas
to ponder as well:

1) Maybe claimed scores should be linked to the final
scores when they finally become available? It would be
useful to see how many of the claimed scores become
actual.

2) Maybe we should give the final scores as much presence
and exposure as we give the claimed scores? At least an
email. Some of the smaller contest sponsors are doing
this now. I would love to see a "central" archive of all
actual results in one place too - much like KA9FOX's central
archive of claimed scores though a searchable database
would be nice. There could be claims of proprietary
data that could make this difficult though.

just some more musings... :>)

73
dink, n7wa