[CQ-Contest] Calls and such

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Calls and such
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue Mar 11 17:39:34 2003
At 09:30 PM 3/11/03 +0000, Tom Horton wrote:
>Well, just gotta throw my two cents worth in.

Well, OK, me too.  I've had my suffix for 49 years, and the whole call
since 1977.  I think that a whole lot of the secret is consistency.  Get
one call, stay with it, and be active.  On phone, I like my call because it
doesn't need phonetics -- in fact I find more people have trouble with the
"R" if I use a phonetic than if I don't.  JA's are an exception, but that's
purely a quirk of our respective languages.

On CW, years of looking at my own and others' UBN reports have convinced me
that the biggest problems are alphabetic characters containing three or
four dots that occur in places where one might logically expect numbers.  H
becomes 5, B becomes 6, V becomes 4, and so on,m particularly at speeds of
30 wpm and above.  There's an "I" station whose entire suffix consists of
"s"s and "H"s, isn't there?

Once in a VERY great while, someone turns my call into NV6R, but even
though 2X1s are common now, 1X2s are still a lot more so.  So usually,
people quickly default to N4.  Once that's set in their minds, the third
character can't be a number, can it?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm