[CQ-Contest] Re:CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 3, Issue 29

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 3, Issue 29
From: llindblom@juno.com (llindblom@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 19:15:10 2003
K4OJ is on the mark with his comments about emergency communication and the
role contesters sometimes play.  Back in the early 70's or late 60's when the
dam went out in Rapid City, South Dakota one of the Rapid City DX/Contest types
had high power mobile DXing setup.  He was drafted to serve as the primary
emergency communications point for Rapid City.  At this time I no longer
remember his call.

The state of Iowa Emergency Management Division amateur radio station became a
primary funnel for traffic in and out of Rapid City due to 24 hour/day coverage
between 40/80 Meters.  The local Des Moines club was struggling to staff the
Iowa Emergency Management Division Amateur Radio station and handle the message
traffic.

I remember getting a phone call asking if I could help them.  I sat for 28
hours in front of a Collins-S Line and handled over 1200 health and welfare
enquiries. When ask how I was able to do this, I explained it was due to
contesting and Dxing experience.

Unfortunatley in the event of a major crisis there might be a problem as the
Iowa Emergency Management Division Amateur Radio station has come to rely
primarily on VHF and UFH communications.

W0ETC

73 W0ETC

   5. QST for April Correspondence (Jim White, K4OJ)