[CQ-Contest] Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Unsportsmanlike conduct
From: tree@kkn.net (Tree)
Date: Mon Mar 31 13:37:43 2003
Well - many of you might feel that contesting / amateur radio should be a
political free zone.  I probably agree with that - but I don't think it is
appropriate for us to impose that upon other people who don't agree with it.

However, I think the act of "not working" some people really is very silly
reason to say someone is unsportsmanlike.  How many of us have "not worked"
someone calling us in the ARRL DX contest when they were in the USA?

I am also reminded of my own selfish actions during the 1990 Californina
QSO Party from 4U1ITU where I was shunning people in all countries, and
49/50ths of the USA by only working stations in California.

A similar situation could exist for someone in Asiatic Turkey, who decides to
ignore the one point JAs calling him, and rather tries to scare up another
European who is worth 3X the points.

Another vivid memory is at XE2SI back in the early 1980's.  I had the gall
to start up the contest below the American phone band (28.500 back in those
days).  And it was alarming the number of people coming down below .500
shouting "United States" at me...  despite the fact that I had a high rate
going into Japan with QSOs that counted more points.  I declined to work any
USA stations until the next day.

Back to the politics...

People have their own motivations, and one of the things the USA does pride
itself on is letting people express them.  You may not agree with his position,
but give him the right to make his protest without being ugly.

Just my opinion.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net