[CQ-Contest] FOLLOWUP: 3second ON/OFF QRN

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FOLLOWUP: 3second ON/OFF QRN
From: desk@nwlink.com (Dan Eskenazi)
Date: Mon May 5 10:55:06 2003
Last week we wrote up a strange 3 second ON and 3 second OFF QRN that
was wiping out the HF bands. Posted a noter here, and some wrote and said
they were hearing the same
thing at their QTHs, while most never heard it. Turns out that the writer
in TX had
recently purchased a SHARPER IMAGE QUADRA AIR FILTERS recently,
as had I,  and discovered he had the same QRN; while the other writer in NV
had the same noise but no air filter!  Others may be hearing a neighbors unit.

So after unplugging the offending unit,  decided to change it out with the
other one we had got for another area of the house, and voila the noise was
gone.
Just reversed their QTHs, and no noise from either.
FYI we have old style two prong outlets, and that may be the problem in the
first place.
We await word from engineers and seeers who may be able to explain the
phenomenon.

What a RELIEF to have a quiet band again!

(and YES this has ALOT to do with CONTESTING)

73
Danny K7SS