[CQ-Contest] More on Orion de W4PA

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More on Orion de W4PA
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Sat May 10 23:36:23 2003
On 5/9/03 11:20 AM, Scott R. at w4pa@yahoo.com wrote:

>Focusing on whether the opposite receiver mutes is losing sight of
>everything else this radio has for contesting, period (not just SO2R).

Scott,

This is all fabulous stuff, and if nothing else, the Orion will get high
marks for its quality receiver.

Certainly Ten-Tec knew of the value of leaving one receiver unmuted as in
classic SO2R operation. So, please answer my question -- what is the
technical reason to force muting of both receivers during transmit? I can
understand it for one receiver which shares circuitry with the
transmitter. But what of the other receiver?

>I disagree, I've used plenty of examples for what a breakthrough this
>transceiver is, and I have no intention of changing the text as
>written on the Ten-Tec website.

I like the part: "ORION's selectable crystal filters narrow the roofing
bandwidth to as little as 250 Hz to avoid any compromise of close-in
receiver performance caused by loud nearby signals. No other transceiver
does this."

Hmm. The Elecraft K2 does. For that matter, there are many, many older
single-conversion recievers and a few multiple-conversion receivers that
do exactly this -- place the key selectivity components on the output of
the first mixer. In no way is this a new concept. In fact, it is a return
to an older design concept that was supplanted by the introduction of
general-coverage receive in modern synthesized radios.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901