[CQ-Contest] Remembering Ed Bissell W3AU

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Remembering Ed Bissell W3AU
From: k7sv@adelphia.net (Larry Schimelpfenig)
Date: Tue May 13 05:20:15 2003
I posted this to the PVRC reflector earlier this week, but decided to post
it here after reflecting on the comments made by others regarding our old
friend. It's interesting to note that a very large percentage of the folks
who were given opportunity to operate from the multis have remained very
active through the years. The generosity of people like Ed gave opportunity
to even the greenest contester to experience the best of contesting while
learning from the best of the best. Most of those that experienced Ed's
generosity have extended their own to making the competitive part of our
great hobby what it is.

"In 1968 a young Navy Radioman stationed at Indianhead MD was boating north
of there on the Potomac. In the area of Accoceek he spotted a collection of
antennas beyond description. Upon finding a place to beach the boat, he
proceeded to find a vantage point to better view the sight. The young man
was me and as things turned out, that I day I met Ed who graciously invited
this very novice contester to join his gang during the upcoming CQWW CW
contest.

While I was enamored with contesting before then, the next year of operating
with Ed and the W3MSK/W3AU crew was nothing short of pure magic. That was 35
years ago, and to this day I frequently find myself reminiscing.

I have a few black and white polaroid pictures taken during the WWCW
contest. Ed's call was then W3MSK, but he changed it to W3AU in early 1969
as I recall. There's a picture titled "10AM Friday" of the 20 meter
position. In another picture of the 20 meter position titled "5PM Friday",
the 75A4, 32V2 and 51S1 have been replaced by a pair of S-lines, and Ed's
young daughter is sitting at the position doing some sort of art work. I
remember spending some time as the second op to Bob Cox K3EST at this
position. While Bob ran them I'd use the second rig to line up mults.
There's also a picture of Bob working that position during the contest.

There's a picture showing Tom Russell who was WA0SDC and is now N4KG at the
40 meter position. Tom who I believe worked for Collins at the time brought
along a tricked up S-Line. I don't think the mods went as far as what was
done in later years with the C-Line, but it certainly improved receiver
performance. Sitting next to him is Ed at the 15 meter position, and John
W8CQM is sitting next to him, also on 15. I'll never forget the gleam that
never seemed to leave Ed's eyes, and his gravelly voice. I don't remember
John's last name and often times wonder what became of him.

In another picture one sees the late Don McClenon N4IN at the 80 meter
position, holding the cans tight to his head struggling to separate a call
from the noise. That position was still using a 75A4/32V2 combination.
Wonder if Don would have squinted so much to hear, if beverages received the
use in those days that they do now.

Thinking back, I know that Jack Reichert N4RV was one of the ops and I think
Jack Colson W3TMZ was as well.

Certain things always come to mind when thinking about those days. One was a
4 stack of 2 element yagis on 10 meters. It was pointed midway between South
American and VK/ZL and I remember our CQs producing a number of Qs from
both. The antennas for 40 through 10 were massive. Stacks weren't in vogue
yet, but I think the monster on 40 was four full sized elements. Ed built a
yagi for 80, but it seems that it just wasn't high enough to be effective.
He also tried extending the boom of the 40 meter antennas to be used as a
rotatable dipole on 80, but it seems the stainless wire rope used to extend
it was too lossy.

I remember Bob Cox grabbing a sledge hammer and heading out the door early
Sunday morning when power line noise became a problem. I also remember Ed
grinning from ear to ear after working a good one on top band. Whenever I
see or talk with Gene Zimmerman W3ZZ, it brings me back and I hear the
unique way he said W 4 Bravo Victor Victor. W4BVV of course was THE
competition at that time!

In late 1969 I was transferred to Iceland. In the first contest I operated I
only had a 12AVQ vertical on a telephone pole next to the barracks. I worked
Bob on 20 cw and he asked me to qsy to 40. When I told him the only antenna
I had was the triband vertical he said load it up on 40, we'll hear you. I
did and they did and there was a Q between W3AU and TF2WLW!

I don't know if contesting would have the same place in my heart if it
hadn't been for the time Ed allowed me to spend with him and the crew. He
was a great man and a great friend. Rest in peace my friend."

I've since learned that W8CQM is none other than W8FJ and have struck up
conversation with him. I also learned a lot about others including PVRC
members that I wasn't aware of.

73 de Larry K7SV (WA0GQI back in the good ole days!)