[CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R Questions

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: SO2R Questions
From: jrcashen@worldnet.att.net (John & Retta Cashen)
Date: Fri May 30 17:07:30 2003
Scott,

I recently set up SO2R on all 3 modes as your are now planning.   Like you
I have 2 identical radios (FT-1000MP) and each has its own linear.  I have
used both Dunestar and Array Solutions filters that I bandswitch with Top
Ten decoders. The decoders also do antenna bandswitching including
switching a 2x6 Sixpack from Array Solutions. I also use a Stackmatch and
am currently designing a new antenna switching system that will add more
automatic flexibility to my particular system of antennas.

Others have advised you much the same, but they have not mention the
logging program.  I have used TR for many years and I have yet to find it
wanting for cw and ssb SO2R contesting.  RTTY is another story.  Because it
is DOS-based, implementing SO2R RTTY requires networking  two
computers+monitors to display decoded RTTY print from 2 radios
simultaneously.  To avoid this I acquired Writelog.  Being Windows-based it
can display innumerable windows irrespective of which mode is being
used.  Furthermore Writelog has been developing its RTTY S02R  features
over many years and as a result it  has nearly universal use by serious
SO2R RTTY contesters.  Inevitably I am now experimenting with using
Writelog for cw and ssb SO2R.

John  VK4UC