[CQ-Contest] Packet thread

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet thread
From: k1dg@ix.netcom.com (k1dg@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jul 1 11:36:29 2003
Bill Fisher suggested emailing the following "slugs" regarding packet use in
contests:

> K1AR, K1DG, N2AA, N2NC, KR2Q, W2RQ, N3ED, N3RA, K3UA,
> K3ZO, KM3T,
> W3ZZ, N5KO, N5NJ, N6AA, K6NA, N6TR, N6TW, N6ZZ, W7EJ, N8BJQ,
> N9RV, or W0UN.

Close inspection of this list reveals that these are the members of the CQWW
Contest Committee.

And we slugs can't wait to check Bill Fisher's next CQWW entry! I see a massive
score reduction in his future...we may be slugs, but he's obviously a lid.

(only kidding)

My personal view is that packet is not going to go away, so we need to live
with it. If it gets more participants on the air to work the competitors,
great. Yes, I know packet pileups are a drag for people on both ends of the
pileup, but that's life.

Even if we slugs on the CQWWCC (and the ARRL folks) outlaw it in contests,
people will still use it - mostly participants who aren't interested in winning
a plaque.

If competitors use packet to advantage and don't claim it, they will be caught
and punished for cheating.

If competitors use it unwisely (point-click-yell-ENTER), their scores will be
reduced due to the high error rate created by this type of operating and
they'll never win a plaque.

Competitors who want to excel at this sport will wean themselves from packet as
they mature in their operating skills, and discover the fun of serious
radiosporting competition.

As far as I am concerned (and I am not speaking for the other slugs, just me)
those who choose to remain participants are welcome to use packet or anything
else that makes the game more fun for them.

Slug (I mean, Doug)