[CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 12

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SECRETS OF CONTESTING, CHAPTER 12
From: "James Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 21:20:09 -0700
Since losing the 2001 CQ WW CW Team Competition to the Admiral Redd K0dQ
team, the N6TJ led team has quietly withdrawn from serious team Competition.
And our team has subsequently been forced to endure two years of harangue
from Redd, demanding our unconditional surrender.

I hereby acknowledge that on that given weekend, Redd et al were the
superior operators, and I yield my, uh, sword.

What is not commonly known, however, is the fact that the Redd operators
possess quick tempers, and they thought they were the masters of everything.
Since the N6TJ operators were somewhat athletic themselves, if they beat
Redd's men at a game, then they were quite upset and quite likely they
wouldn't talk to us for a day or so.  Or else if you beat them very badly
they would come cringing to you on their knees (like) bullies, having been
very unpleasant to you beforehand.

Shortly before the 2001 CW Contest, the N6TJ operators walked through the
competition changing rooms to get ready.  All five of the Redd operators
were lying flat on their backs on matresses, great giants, taking deep
breaths.  It was all very impressive.  I was getting into my contesting togs
when one of Redd's men cameup and spoke to me, or rather harangued me, for I
had nochance to say anything.  He had been watching us prepare, he said, and
could come to the conclusion that we were thoroughly representative of a
decadent class of operators.  No Redd crew would dream of appearing so
lackadaisical if operating on the Redd team, and that they would train and
they would win.

Losing this contest Team Competition might not appear very important to us,
but I could rest assured that the Redd Team would not fail to notice and
learn from our defeat.

It has been perceived that N6TJ and his contemporaries are 'superficially
selfish and egocentric', without any Holy Grail in which we could lose
ourselves.  The 2001 Contest, however, by offering up an unmistakeable and
worthwhile lesson, had now provided it.  Now the N6TJ team had the
opportunity to demonstrate in action our dislike of organized emotion and
boasting (ala Redd), the opportunity to prove to ourselves and the world
that our effete veneer was not as deep as our dislike of interference, to
prove that, undisciplined though we might be, we were a match for Redd's
dogma-fed operators.

THEREBY, LET IT BE KNOWN, Neiger's Tigers 2003 are challenging the Redd
minions (whomever might still wish to be led by the Admiral) to a re-match
in the upcoming CQ WW CW Team Competition.

And, since we gave the DL's and OH's a chance to win for a change, they too
might wish to join the free-for-all.  Fat chance, as we say........

Oh, by the way, Neiger's Tigers will also try and be competitive in the  SSB
chapter in a few weeks.  Name your poison, chumps ....er, champs.

Respectfully offered,

Jim Neiger   N6TJ