Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting? Hog wash...

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of contesting? Hog wash...
From: "Richard Ferch" <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:59:45 -0400
Amidst all the inspiring prose, I have an actual "nuts & bolts" question for
Tree.

Tree, you said: "Get an all-band vertical and your old tube radio setup for
that second
radio."

I can understand that you might want your best antenna, your best receiver,
and your loudest signal on the run radio, since you will presumably be
making the majority of your contacts there. However ... If you have one
frequency-agile computer-controllable radio and one old boat-anchor which is
neither, wouldn't you want to use the newer radio as the S&P radio to take
advantage of its agility, the bandmap in your software, etc., and reserve
the boat-anchor for CQing so you won't have to retune it as often and the
lack of computer control is less of an issue? Or do I have my head stuck
firmly inside the box so I can't see the forest for the trees?

Waiting eagerly for more pearls of wisdom,
Rich VE3IAY