Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsigns and licenses

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Callsigns and licenses
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:26:53 -0400
Who would know?  Probably no one, unless someone owned up to who the
operator was.  However, should the word come out, then the owner of the call
might have to answer a few questions.  Seems to me that this happened a few
years ago when a certain contester was using the station of a
then-unlicensed person down south of Florida, and said unlicensed person
operated when he shouldn't have...

The bottom line is, you as an FCC licensed amateur knows what you are
allowed & not allowed to do, and just as importantly, what someone borrowing
your station (be it the physical station, only your call, or anything in
between) is and is not allowed to do.  You as the licensee has some measure
of responsibility, as the license holder, for the actions of anyone
operating (with your permission) with your call.  (And of course, those
reading this who are NOT licensed by the FCC but by other authorities know
or should know the same things as required by your appropriate licensing
authority... you mileage may vary and void where prohibited)

Split hairs all you want over the details, but as they used to say on my
son's favorite wrestling show, "and THAT'S the bottom line!"

Any doubts?  Then just check the FCC Enforcement letters on the ARRL web
page, find the phone number and give Riley a call.  That's one of the things
he's there for.  (No really, he's a very nice guy to talk to... especially
when it's NOT over an infraction you've already been alleged to have
committed!)

73, ron wn3vaw

"Spock!"
"Yes, Captain?"
"Be One with the Horse!"
"Yes, Captain!"
-- Star Trek V:  Spock Had a Brother?  Who Knew?