[CQ-Contest] Results of the SS prop test not very good. VY1JA

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Results of the SS prop test not very good. VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <jallen@internorth.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 06:37:18 -0000
Thanks to all who listened and those that sent email regarding the
propagation test for SS.  A few heard me on 20 and none heard me on 40.

It turned out to match what is expected when the aurora is active (invisible
as it is today)

I barely heard even the west coast stations that are normally 40 over 9.  I
did not hear anyone east of Colorado.

I strongly suggest that everyone remember that I am planning to sit on one
frequency and CQ.  My sunrise is at 1710 and sunset is at 0020 UTC  Use your
sunset, and the gray zone if possible to help you work me.  I plan to be on
a frequency ending with 7 in the general portion of the band to start and
will sit there throughout the contest if I can, but usually I cannot hold a
frequency when things are this bad due to the fact that ops in the south
cannot hear me and think the frequency I am on is clear.  This is a no-fault
problem without a solution.  Usually these conditions bring one way
propagation in which I hear your signals louder than you hear mine, but this
is not always the case.

Depending on who calculates the data, 15 meters will not happen here, 20
will be usable with weak signals because of the high Auroral absorption, and
later 40 will be even more of the same.  Best times from East Coast to Yukon
have been calculated to be around 0000 utc, 0600, and 0800 on 40 meters and
around 1800 and 2200 on 20.

I don't find these propagation programs to be accurate, because they do not
take the A index into account and the Aurora seems to throw a big wrench
into the gears of the calculation.

Good luck and thanks to all for trying the path.

73,

J.