[CQ-Contest] new to contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] new to contesting
From: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 08:39:34 -0500
As a new ham, contesting is an interesting side of the hobby/service.  I am
currently only a Technician, but am working on upgrading to General in the next
few weeks.  I worked the SS as a guest op at the local radio club and had a
very good time.  The Sunday doldrums hit us very hard here in 3 land.  We could
hear the sections on the west coast, but couldn't make contact.

I have already informed the XYL of my future contesting plans.  I have so much
to learn... I should have jumped in this hobby/service 15 years ago when I was
in my teens.  Stupid me thought ham radio was for geeks.  Guess I'm a geek now
;)

Any must read material out there for the budding contester?  I'm not looking to
be a big gun, but rather be a big in the little gun world.

-Steve Hanlon
KB3KAQ