Re: [CQ-Contest] What callsign to use in CQ WW CW 2003?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What callsign to use in CQ WW CW 2003?
From: Bill <Bill@ng3k.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:48:46 -0500
Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

--- "Andy Drofa" <np3d@mail.ru> wrote:

My call is NP3D and I live in Bayside, NY. I am going to participate in
coming CQ WW CW Contest. Can someone suggest me what callsign I should use in
the contest? I do not want to use W2/NP3D or NP3D/W2 - this is too long I
hope you understand me. I could use NP3D/2 but this call looks like from KP2?
I if use just NP3D this will confuse the people who thinks that I am working
from Puerto Rico. I posted a message in several Bullettines tht NP3D is in
Zone 5 USA, not in Zone 8, PR.

Please use NP3D by itself.  The latest country file will score this as United
States, Zone 5.  Don't sign NP3D/2, that will confuse the software and it will
think you are in US Virgin Islands (NP2).

But, what about those who are not using CT? What about all the casual participants who are not using any contest logging software? If Andy uses simply NP3D, he's going to be called by a slew of stateside stations who don't realize he's not in PR, especially in light of the fact that he's planning an 80m SB operation. This is likely to prove highly frustrating for both Andy and the callers.

73,

Bill/NG3K