[CQ-Contest] Thanks to all

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Thanks to all
From: "Russell Hill" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:06:52 -0600
On Nov 18 I posted questions under "Getting back into contesting", and have
received many informative answers from folks who took the time to share their
thoughts with me.

I would specifically like to thank, in no particular order, all the following:
AD1C, VE1OP, K4BEV, K4BAI, N5NJ, KD4D, N7WA, ON4MA, W9SZ, KB3MM, N6HC, Dan
Kovatch, VE7FO, K1TTT, AC8G, EI5DI, N6ZO, K5TR, NF4L, K0HB, WN3VAW, N4BP, for
the info they sent me.  It looks as though I will be joining the M/M effort at
NX5M in Texas.  A great opportunity to learn a lot!

I have cut and pasted some of the comments below, for others to digest as they
wish.  Too much bandwidth to copy all of them, but I appreciate all!

Still lots of bandwidth, but I have tried to cull it down to just enought for
readers to get the jist.
New contesters might want the info.

Use your Pentium, interface it to your radio, get a copy of Writelog,
N1MM or any of the other good contesting loggers that run under Windows
and have some fun!!

Cabrillo output is important and most newer loggers produce Cabrillo
files for most contests...Saves much work in a text editor after the
contest...Most contests now require Cabrillo, or at least prefer it...

Report your scores to http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score

Rusty,
Don't know about NA, but TR is excellent if you're into CW contesting.
For SSB I'd recommend WriteLog. Not as good as TR for CW, but way, way ahead of
it for SSB. You can use your soundcard (well, most soundcards) and have DVK
(Digital Voice Keyer) built right into your computer... WL also does RTTY very
well, with nothing added. There is a free program on the WL web site for
analyzing sound cards. I would do this before I even fooled with WL.
TR can do RTTY and SSB contests too, but some outboard equipment will be
necessary.
I was a programmer for many years before retirement and have yet to get TR to
do DVK in an acceptable manner using a soundcard.... some have though.
Also WriteLog is a Windows program, while TR (and I believe NA) are DOS
programs.
Bottom line:
If you plan to do CW contests, or really like to play with a program to get it
to work, get TR..... Otherwise I'd skip it.

Oh yeah - BTW - TR is my hands down favorite. I also prefer CW contests though.
I use WL for SSB and RTTY.
Be advised - There are other Windows based logging programs too. I can't afford
to by them all, and so settled on WL

(CT)It will not run on a 286.  The last version that would was version 6 or 7.
We're on version 9 something now.

There are a number of contest logging programs out there.  They
come in two flavors these days:  DOS-based and Windows.  The leading
Windows program is something called WriteLog.  CT is alive and well -
it's now FREE!  Go to www.k1ea.com and download it.  There is a
windows version as well, but I've never used it.  I use the DOS-based
programs CT and TR.  If I were you, for now, I'd just use CT.  It's
now free and you know how to use an older version.  I'd stick to
DOS also, since I personally don't have any experience with the
Windows version.

I don't think any of these will run on a 286.  A pentium laptop can
be made to run DOS (I used partition magic to set up a hard disk
partition).

Most people don't post contest logs.  Claimed scores these days are
done through an e-mail reflector called "3830."  My last claimed
score was submitted through their web site:
http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/.

body of the message type 'subscribe' only. No subject is necessary. You should
receive a confirmation message back within a few minutes

10 years ago CT was the program.It is history.
But fews are using it because it is still running on the older 286-386
machines and it is free now.
But if you have a Pentium laptop try this one
http://pages.cthome.net/n1mm/
it is also free !!

The newer versions of CT will automatically generate Cabrillo files if you
enter "WRITELOG" in the callsign space.  You then need a text editor to
fill in a few things in the log file, such as score, etc

>  Or maybe I might buy a copy of TR or NA.  I have no
> basis on which to make a comparative decision.  I do plan to run other
> contests, including state parties, and do not wish to be limited in the
> contests covered by the contest software.

Then WriteLog is the way to go

I am still using a 486-66 Mhz computer for contesting.  I started out using CT
but prefer TR since it will support lots of contests and is flexible enough to
support state QSO parties and other less "popular" contests.  TR will also run
on Windows 98 platform if you reboot the computer to DOS.  That capability is
not available for Windows XP.  If you want a more sophisticated program, then
use your pentium and WriteLog.  The WriteLog program allows you to work RTTY
which is not available to you with the standard CT, TR programs.  It all
depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.  Cabrillo output
is mandatory if you wish to submit your log to ARRL for award consideration.

I use TRLog.  It is a very full featured program which will probably do
everything you ever want to do in contesting.  Just like all the others,
it has its glitches and faults.  It supports a great many contests and
is configurable such that you can operate in unsupported contests.  It
has been optimized for contesting speed.  i.e. it does many things to
help you maximize your rate.  The only other logging program I have used
is WriteLog.  With WL, if you want to go into an unsupported contest
you're out of luck until a 3rd party writes (in C++) a "module" for the
contest.  The documentation on how to do this appears to be somehwere
between inadequate and non-existent.

TR is a DOS based program.  I run it in a DOS box in Win98SE.  Works fine.

The latest ct won't run on a 286, it needs at least a 386dx with 4-5meg
of ram.  On the plus side there is a windows version of ct now that runs
on all versions of windows and does everything except voice keying.  you
may also want to look at the free n1mm logger, it is a state of the art
windows program and for a free piece of software has an excellent
support group.

The Writelog program produces a Cabrillo file basically ready to send.
A setup allows you to select the class, entry name, etc.  Although
likely not unique to other more modern programs, Writelog has provision
for control of many modern transceivers.  Very nice when switching
between bands (or modes) as the computer switches as you change the
transceiver  (mostly likely the way it would be done) but also you can
change the transceiver from keyboard entry although several steps
needed..

There are other options.  Please have a look at SD on
www.ei5di.com.  I've used SD to get 1st, 2nd and 3rd
over the years in ARRL 10m SO LP Mixed DX.

 You'll need a 386 or better to run SD.

I still run  CT on a dos machine.  if your dos machine has two comm ports, one
of the radio and one for your cw interface (if you do cw) I see no need to
change.

N1MM is a new and FREE logging program that runs under windows.  I operated at
W3PP for CQ WW SSB and we used it there for the first time.  It worked well and
the price is right.  We had 9 computers networked and did have some problems
network wise.  As a single op, its rock stable.

You can get a current version of CT (free now) at http://www.k1ea.com, but
it won't run on your old 286.  (Of course, neither will TR or NA).  Since
you have experience with CT, that might be the way to go.  CT covers all
the major domestic and DX contest, FD, and the bigger state  QSO parties.
I think (don't know for fact) that TR and NA may have a bit more coverage
of the smaller QSO parties.  NA has a user interface essentially identical
to CT, while TR is reputed to be aimed at the "power user" and have a bit
of a learning curve.  If you want to get 'modern', WriteLog seems to be the
preference of those contesters who want a Windoze based logger.

several months ago CT 9 (the current release level) also became
available free for the download.  I don't recall if it would work on a
286 -- and if you stick with the DOS version, it might -- but frankly, with
the availability of low-end Pentium I class machines (close to free for the
asking from many sources), I'd suggest coming up with one of these and
putting CT 9 on it.  Even better, see if you can get your
hands on a low-end Pentium laptop; takes up less real estate and it's more
portable too.

You will probably also notice that you're not going to see much of a
consensus amongst the many comments you will receive.  Such is life in the
contesting world!

Again, many thanks to all who shared their experience and thoughts!  It's a
great hobby!

73,
Rusty, NA5TR