[CQ-Contest] When is a busted call not a busted call?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] When is a busted call not a busted call?
From: "Dave" <VO1AU@rac.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:11:43 -0330
If I incorrectly log the other station's call sign, I lose the QSO, right?
That seems fair.

But what if the other station consistently mis-sends his or her own call?  I
heard and worked that HL0 in South Shetlands, but frankly, his sending was
terrible.  I listened to him send his call a couple of dozen times, just to
make sure I was copying it correctly.  When I heard him, all but two times,
he sent his call with a numeral at the end.  That's how I logged him.

This is unusual, but not unheard-of.  So, contest adjudicators and
wanna-bes, who gets penalised for this bad sending?

Dave
VO1AU@rac.ca
(LMYBJD)