Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [VHFcontesting] Six Meter Contest

To: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: [VHFcontesting] Six Meter Contest
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:02:22 -0600
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 07:30:26AM -0600, George Fremin III K5TR wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 05:51:56PM -0600, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:
> > one of the big contest sponsors (ARRL, CQ, or maybe NCJ) should sponsor a
> > similar Six Meter Contest.  Six Meters is a great band, and is the obvious
> > gateway band to getting both non-HF ops exposed to contest and HF-style
> > operating, and getting HF ops exposed to VHF.  In North America, the only
> > six
> > meter single band contests are sponsored by fairly obscure groups and have
> > predictably low participation.  I can understand the ARRL not wanting to
> > sponsor six or seven single band VHF+ contests like they used to do (the
> > former ARRL Spring Sprints) but surely a big Six Meter contest would be a
> > great thing.
>
> While I think a single band 6 meter contest would be intresting
> I really do think there are already two events in the correct
> area of the year that can be entered as single band six
> meter contests.  The ARRL June VHF contest has the most
> people on in one weekend of any contest on 6 meters and
> the band winners are listed.  The CQ VHF contest in July
> is a two band contest and you can enter it as 6m single band
> I am sure.

The June VHF Contest, though, is not a single-band contest.  Entering
six meters only in that contest would be much like entering the 10M
single band category in CQWW or the ARRL DX Contest - it's a fine thing
to do, but it's not the same as a single band contest.  And, at least
in the writeup for the 2003 ARRL June VHF QSO Party, there is no more
reporting on band leaders in QST - you have to go the ARRL Member's Only
expanded results, and even then they only show QSO leaders by band and
multiplier leaders by band - they do not show a score leader by band.
And nobody gets single band awards in the ARRL June VHF QSO Party, so
it's sort of questionable that there's anybody who really takes a
single-band effort in that contest seriously.

The CQWW VHF Contest does have provisions for single-band six meter
entries - but it's still a two-band contest.