Re: [CQ-Contest] 2003 ARRL 10M: /N, /T participation

To: Lee Hopper <leehopp@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2003 ARRL 10M: /N, /T participation
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:02:31 -0600
On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 11:52:13AM -0800, Lee Hopper wrote:
> 2003 ARRL Logs Rec'd
> KC6MEI/T   SINGLE-OP 10M LOW CW      SV
>
> 2002 results:
> Call  Score QSOs Mult Class Power Section Hours Club Ops
>
> WD4PTJ/T 88380 414 90 A B TN 28
> N3LJB/T  7084 77 46 B A EPA 13
> KC8ULG/T 6952 79 44 B B MI 4
> K1QNF/T  3328 52 32 B B CT 3
> KG4LDZ/T 1924 37 26 B C AL 13
> KC0LMS/T 868 31 14 B A MN 6
> KG6MXO/T 280 10 7 C B LAX 6
>
> 2001 results:
> (none)
>
> Comment: This seems to me a really good way to encourage new contesters -
> they must make quite a splash since the count double points and people just
> *want* to work them.

They only count for double points on CW.

> Are there any other contests that encourage /N/T hams like this?

Not that I can think of.

> Are we running out of /N/T hams? I would expect so but have no hard
> evidence.

Since one can no longer earn a Novice or Tech+ license, I would expect that
within a very few years either every one of those stations still on the
air will have upgraded to a General class license, or will be inactive
or lapsed.

In the past three years of 10 Meter Contests, including dupes, I've made
almost 8,600 phone QSOs, and only once has a station I worked signed /T.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops