[CQ-Contest] Nice "Anti-BPL" article in the local paper

To: FCG <FCG@kkn.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Nice "Anti-BPL" article in the local paper
From: "Jim White, K4OJ" <k4oj@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:17:24 -0500
The Tampa Tribune ran an article on January 5th with a big two page photo of power lines and the megapoint font headline reading: "Power To Interfere?"

I do not know the ham interviewed/pictured in the article - his call was not mentioned - but it looks like he is an ARRL field service guy from the photo as there appears to be an ARRL badge next to his computer monitor...

I was glad to see that my power company TECO (Tampa Electric) is not interested in BPL, although there are several providers of AC around the state including FP&L (Fla. Power and Light) that are going with BPL trials...

The article mentions how FEMA is opposed to BPL... I think this is the biggest thing hams have going for them in this battle... FEMA is on everyone's lips these days, and certainly "volunteer" amateur radio cannot do battle with the wealthy power companies and their stock holders who are seeking to turn existing power lines into money conduits for a not so state of the art internet access potential... and the big losers being hams and other HF communications enthusiasts and interests who will suffer the QRM!

Check out the test from the article at:

http://tampatrib.com/Business/MGALZEAO1PD.html

73, HNY

Jim, K4OJ