[CQ-Contest] Re: Weirdness, LDE

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Weirdness, LDE
From: zl1aih@ihug.co.nz
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:10:44 +1300
In 1954, (while I was 4th op on a passenger ship, copying press, London
Copyright Press or RCA, at 25 wpm each evening on the 8-12 watch), on
one occasion I heard the text repeated - about 2 to 3 words behind.   This
phenomenon lasted for about 5 minutes and then disappeared.  This was on
12 mHz, a vertical antenna over salt water.  The repeated text was strong
enough to be not only recognisable but confusing, to the extent that I was
forced to delete several items from the ship's newspaper (draft copy)
Given the delay, this was no ordinary chordal hop or LDE.   I have not yet
seen an explanation for this type of event, which lasted long enough for me
to get the 3rd op to verify my log entry, which was most important.
I had heard echoes before- up to a second or so, but nothing like this.

The ship's daily newspaper was 10 foolscap pages - on that day, it was only
nine, and there were explanations to be made to the Master, and Chief
Purser, and for my explanation, I needed all the help I could get.
73, Ken ZL1AIH