[CQ-Contest] Comments on other NAQP rule suggestions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Comments on other NAQP rule suggestions
From: Dean Wood <dwood@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:00:56 -0800
1. I disagree that restricting NAQP teams to a 500 mile circle would create more participation. In fact, I believe this restriction would decrease participation, not increase it. Let's take a recent World Wide Young Contesters (WWYC) entry as an example:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2003-08/msg00250.html

The existing NAQP team rules allowed five young contesters geographically distant (TX, Argentina, PA, SC, IN) to have a lot of fun as a team effort. I think it's fair to say that none of them would have been as active as they were if they couldn't have formed this team. Why would we want to reduce this participation and eliminate this type of team by introducing distance restrictions in NAQP? I hope NAQP teams continue to be free of distance boundaries. NAQP and Sprint teams are a fun alternative to the traditional ARRL and CQ club competition restrictions.

I think it's great that ZF2NT was a part of his home contest club's team entry. I'm sure everyone appreciated his multiplier and QSOs in NAQP CW. If KE3Q operated at WP3R for NAQP, I would expect him to be on his contest club's team (PVRC) or any other team he wanted to join.

2. Regarding >100W for non-NA stations in NAQP, it's my sense that this wouldn't change non-NA participation much. Pointing your beam at these stations would solve the problem if you want to work more non-NA stations in NAQP. The difference in F/B or F/S would be quite a bit more than the non-NA station going from 100W to 400W. If you want to work other continents, point at them. You could even power split between two antennas if you have that luxury. The non-NA stations will surely appreciate the increase in your signal strength. If you want to work NA and mults, then point to NA. We don't need a rules change for this concept. Few NA DX mults are active in NAQP. We should address how to increase participation in NA DXCC entities before focusing on non-NA entities.

73... -Dean - N6DE

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------