[CQ-Contest] contest expedition crates

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] contest expedition crates
From: "Mark Beckwith" <mark@concertart.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:50:57 -0600
Question for those who have been DXpeditioning lately.  I was going to
re-use the same radio crates I built in 1989 to take my alpha on a contest
expedition.  The trouble is, they don't close with hinges and latches,
rather they are permanently enclosed with screws.  I used to unscrew them
when I got to the DX location.

A lot has happened in 15 years.  For starters, I can't take a screwdriver on
the plane.  Am I "asking for it" trying to check these crates as baggage?  I
can't get a real straight answer out of Customs, the TSA or the airline.
What have been your experiences lately flying American Airlines to the
Caribbean?

Mark, N5OT