Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting tips

To: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] contesting tips
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:05:22 -0500
Steve:

I don't know the source of your information that tuning from the top down is better for USB and the reverse on LSB. Maybe my ears are different from that person's, but I think it is much easier to tune from the bottom up on USB and from the top down on LSB. That is because you hear intelligible sound from the station first as you approach it. You are tuning first to the intelligible sideband. If you tune as your correspondent suggests, you hear nothing but garble until you are right on the spot where the station can be understood. Most of the time you will tune past that spot and have to reverse and tune back. You shouldn't have that problem if you tune toward the desired SSB and keep tuning until the voice sounds clear.

Just my experience of almost 50 years (even though some will tell you that they were all on CW, but that would be perhaps an exaggeration).

73,

John.