Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14
From: "Barry " <w2up@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 14:35:29 -0000
On 30 Jan 2004 James Neiger wrote:

> Secrets of Contesting, Chapter 14
> <snip>.
> 3. Never, ever, call a station unless you know 100% his callsign.
> Ever. (please see 1. and 2., above).  It's truly amazing to me HOW
> MANY call without a clue.  Is this sound operating?  I think not.
> Yes, the DX station has the ultimate responsibility to identify on a
> regular basis.  In that there are no defined standards, I can well
> appreciate that some 'ambiguities' might exist.  However, I believe
> that unless YOUR rate is 200+ per hour, it is your responsibility to
> harken to the DX station's operating procedure.  Please, if you don't
> like it, don't call.  Simple.

<more snipped>
Jim sez above: "However, I believe that unless YOUR rate is 200+ per
hour, it is your responsibility to harken to the DX station's
operating procedure."

It seems to me Jim is saying if my rate is 200/hour, it's OK to
ignore the DX station's operating procedure.  How is the DX station
supposed to know what my rate is to grant permission to alter his
operating procedure?

Seriously Jim, contesting is a 2-way street.  Both members of the QSO
need to facilitate the quick flow of information for the QSO points.
I do need to hear the callsign myself (we agree on that point).  You
don't want your time wasted just like I don't want my time wasted. If
I already took the time to tune and listen to you, I'm committed to a
QSO, assuming not a dupe, before tuning by.   If you don't ID at
least every 2-3 QSOs, you ARE going to get impatient ops sending CL?
over and over, and you are going to make many more dupes than you
would otherwise.  Take the hint.  If that happens repeatedly, it
means you aren't IDing enough.

73,
Barry W2UP