Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com, "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article
From: Tom Horton <k5iid@ntelos.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:26:23 +0000
Kelly,
 Wow! Exceptional points all!
73, Tom K5IID

At 01:47 02/06/04, you wrote:
The problem with the QST Op-Ed is this: when all the world is wringing hands
about Big Brother taking away our frequencies because of a lack of activity,
why in the world would anyone want to limit something with as much activity
as a good phone contest?

Sheesh. So perhaps on the odd Saturday the rag doesn't get chewed as much,
there's still plenty of fun to be had for those open-minded enough to find
it.

And, when is the last time the demands of rag chewers ever amounted to the
slightest innovation in amateur radio technology? Yaesu didn't build the
Mark V so Frank can discuss preferred means of acheiving regularity or Eldon
can wax philosophic about windom antennas.

SSB certainly wasn't designed to cater to the AM crowd, now was it?

High-activity events, be they contests, DX-peditions or "operating events"
(heaven forbid we call a spade a spade on field day, now right?), drive
amateur radio. They're what drive people to go to seemingly absurd lengths
to establish a station on some remote crag of rock, why N6BT builds Force
12s, why Ten Tec builds Orions and why Alpha builds 87As.

And all of this is why Ten Tec, Yaesu, Force 12 et al buy ad space in CQ and
QST, donate radios and antennas to DX-peditions and, thankfully, why we even
have any frequencies to be having this discussion about in the first place.

For all that contesting provides the amateur radio community, we really
don't ask much of the non-contest phone operator.

73, kelly
ve4xt