[CQ-Contest] GM3BCL SK

To: "'cq-contest@contesting.com'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] GM3BCL SK
From: "Cooper, Stewart" <coopers@odl.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 23:06:03 -0000
I only just found out yesterday that Sandy Anderson GM3BCL died about two
weeks ago. I think there will be many on here who knew him, or at least
worked him in CQ WW SSB from time to time. I believe he actually entered the
contest every year from about 1948 until last year. That has to be a record!
I first met Sandy when I was about 16 and had just got my licence. I wanted
to do CQ WW SSB but I had never entered an HF contest and didn't know what
to do. He lived about a mile from me so I cycled out to his very large and
impressive house and introduced myself. As a sixteen year old who was new to
ham radio I was totally bowled over by his shack. It was out of this world -
it was so big he even had a snooker table in it! The entire station was
built into a very beautiful custom built wood library wall. I was
dumb-founded. He was very nice to me, and answered my (probably niaive)
questions.
Sandy was a US county hunter and even when I last visited him, in about
1989, I think he only required 3 counties to work them all. Sadly, I don't
know that much about Sandy, but I often worked or heard him in CQ WW SSB,
and I expect he put a very strong signal into east coast USA. His house was
on a hill facing north west, across the Grampian mountains in north east
Scotland. Sandy was a founder member of the local radio club.
This is just a personal tribute to the man who really inspired me to do
contesting. I hope there are others who remember him.

Stewart
GM4AFF
Offshore Design Ltd
www.odl.co.uk
This email is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
confidential and privileged information. You should not disclose its
contents to any other person. Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or
notify the sender immediately.