[CQ-Contest] K4OJ Thoughts

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K4OJ Thoughts
From: K1AR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:00:36 EST
All--

I've been quiet on this over the past day or so as it's been hard to add much
to what has been already said. So, I won't say much. Suffice it to say, it's
not because Jim doesn't deserve it.

Jim was a unique and compelling personality in our ranks. A nonconformist in
many ways, OJ simply got stuff done. I can't think of another person in recent
times that has received such an overwhelming response to their passing.

My last experience with Jim was in the FOC Marathon. We worked on 15 meters
and then moved to a few other bands as he had his goals set on winning the
contest. After our 20 meter QSO, he asked me to try 40. I heard him calling me
weakly, but without my amp turned on, he did not come back to my answers after
several attempts. Little did I know that the lack of answers to my calls to
K4OJ
would become something that we would all have to get used to in just a few
short days.

Whether it was pancakes in Dayton at 4AM or an e-mail that brightened our
day, there's at least enough OJ memories left behind to begin to fill a void
that
has just been created.

RIP OM.

73 John, K1AR