Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest IMing

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest IMing
From: "Alfred J. Frugoli (KE1FO)" <frugoli@worldlinkisp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:55:34 -0500
I can't imagine paying much attention to anything but the radio and the logging
software when the rates go way up (over 200/hour) as a single op.  Now add in
paying attention to the 2nd radio (SO2R) and there's not much mind left for
IMing.  This is the scenario for winning single op stations (both assisted and
unassisted)

On the other hand, in the multi categories, spotting networks (and IMing?) are
always allowed, and you often have extra ops sitting around, or even a band
captain.  These folks take on the role of keeping an eye on conditions, rates,
and the competetion and develop strategy.

So, I don't see the IM thing as much of a problem.  If you're SO unassisted and
you're IMing, your not winning.  The self spotting is a whole different story
though - kudos to K1TTT for sending out the self spotting info after each
contest.

73 de Al, KE1FO